Car Hire Montreal
Car hire in MontrealMontreal is known as Canada’s most diverse city and you’ll see why as soon as you arrive in this bustling, European influenced city. There really is no place like Montreal, a cultural magnet that has attracted people from all over the world.
The architecture is as diverse as the people and Old Montreal simply has to be seen and experienced. So what are you waiting for? Your journey awaits with Avis car hire.
Your top rental locations in Montreal
- La Jeunesse
- Le Nouvel Hotel Downtown
- Montreal Boulevard Decarie
- Montreal Boulevard St Laurent
- Montreal Hotel 10
- Montreal Jean Talon Ouest
- Montreal Metcalfe Str
- Montreal Papineau
- Montreal Sherbrooke Street
- Boulevard Montreal-Toronto
- Pierre Elliot Trudeau International Airport
- Pointe Claire
- Van Horne
- All Quebec car hire locations
Plan your journey in MontrealThere’s so much to see and do in Montreal. Whatever you do, don’t miss the incredible markets. Take a walk through Marché Atwater, one of the city’s oldest public markets for a real taste of Montreal. If that doesn’t quench your thirst, then take a stroll to Marché Jean-Talon, the largest open air market in North America.
More of a night owl than a culture vulture? Don’t worry, Montreal has it covered. The city is famed for its nightlife, check out Rue Crescent, the clubs on Boulevard St Laurent, as well as Old Montreal to sample some of the city’s hottest spots.
Road trips from MontrealMontreal to Quebec City, QC
While the drive from Montreal takes around 3 hours, once you arrive in Quebec you’ll be spoilt for things to see and do. We particularly recommend heading to Old Quebec to enjoy the old city.
Looking for a bit more of an adrenalin rush? Head to Montmorency Falls - arguably bigger, bolder and brasher than Niagara.
Montreal to Magog, QC
A highly recommended daytrip or mini-break destination, Lake Memphremagog is also a hotspot for Canada’s rich and famous. The lake is dotted with quaint and cosy little shops that add to the lake’s abundant charm.
Montreal to Vankleek Hill, On
Just 100km from Montreal you’ll find Vankleek Hill, more commonly referred to as the Gingerbread capital of Ontario.
The name is an affectionate one referring to the architectural detail to the exteriors of the town’s buildings, giving them the look of gingerbread houses. Windows, doors and balconies all carry the distinctive white icing markings - it really does make this town a must-see.
Driving rules in CanadaWhich side of the road?
In Canada, please drive on the right side of the road.
Country driving laws
- In some provinces mobile phones may only be used with a headset or hands-free device – you should check the law for any provinces you will be travelling in
- Do not overtake school buses
- If pulled over by police, do not exit your vehicle. Turn the ignition off and sit patiently with your hands visible
Speed limits in Canada are set by each province. Please use this as a guide only, you should check the law for any provinces you will be travelling in.
All speed signs will be in km/h.
For a standard Avis rental vehicle with no trailer:
- School zone: 30-50 km/h (19-31 mph)
- Residential areas: 40-50 km/h (25-31 mph)
- Major roads in urban areas: 60-70 km/h (37-44 mph)
- 2-lane highways: 80 km/h (50 mph)
- Motorways: 110 km/h (68 mph)
Unless indicated by road signs.
Child safety / Seatbelt laws
- It is compulsory for the driver and all passengers to wear a seatbelt
- Each province has its own rules and regulations about child seats - you should check the law for any provinces you will be travelling in
Please note - It is the child’s parent / guardian or vehicle renter’s responsibility to fit the child seat.
This road rules information is for provided for general guidance only. We endeavour to keep the information up to date and accurate, but any reliance you place on this information is at your own risk.