Car Hire in Bergen
Car hire in Bergen
Plan your trip in BergenBergen city centre has many attractions to enjoy – from the fish market where you will find seafood delicacies, to a wide range of interesting museums.
In Bryggen - the oldest part of Bergen - you'll find the old wharf, a relic of the era of the Hanseatic League, circa 14th to 16th century, and the Hanseatic Museum, where you can learn more about this period in Bergen and the German Hanseatics.
In modern day Bryggen, you will find plenty of shops to buy unique local mementos – and restaurants where you can relax and unwind.
Feeling adventurous? Take a trip to the highest mountain in the region - Mount Ulriken - and enjoy stunning landscapes and scenery as you overlook the city. The most popular mountain in the region is Mount Fløyen, which you can reach via the Fløibanen funicular.
Road trips from BergenIf you’d like to go chasing waterfalls, visit Steinsdalsfossen near Norgheimsunds, where you can climb in behind the waterfall and watch from the cave within.
On your journey there, make sure you stop in Voss. This small town has only 5,000 inhabitants and is the capital of the fjords. The scenery around Voss is stunning during the winter - the lakes, glaciers, and white water rivers offer a beautiful backdrop to the hiking and walking trails.
Top tips: if you're passionate about nature, there there are many hiking trails in nearby Prestegardsmoen – and for breathtaking views visit the Trolltunga cliff face near Odda.
Further along National Road 13 you’ll find Låtefossen waterfall and the beautiful national parks of Hardangervidda and Folgefonna.
To discover all that Bergen has to offer, simply book your Avis rental car online.
Driving rules in NorwayWhich side of the road?
In Norway, please drive on the right side of the road.
Country driving laws
- Winter tyres are mandatory between November and April.
- Mobile phones may only be used with a headset or hands-free device
- Give way to traffic approaching from the right. You have the right of way if there is a road sign with a yellow diamond at the intersection
- Trams always have right of way.
- In Oslo, electric vehicles are allowed to use bus lanes.
- Dipped headlights must be used at all times
- If you're caught committing a driving offence, the police can issue an on-the-spot fine
All speed signs will be in km/h.
For a standard Avis rental vehicle with no trailers:
- Urban areas: 50 km/h (31 mph)
- Rural areas: 90 km/h (55 mph)
- Motorways: 110 km/h (80 mph)
Unless indicated by road signs.
Child safety / Seatbelt laws
- It is compulsory for the driver and all passengers to wear a seatbelt
- All children must be seated in an appropriate child restraint for their size.
- Children under 4 years old must travel in an appropriate rear-facing child seat for their size
Please note - It is the child’s parent / guardian or vehicle renter’s responsibility to fit the child seat.
This road rules information is for provided for general guidance only. We endeavour to keep the information up to date and accurate, but any reliance you place on this information is at your own risk.