Car Hire Aix En Provence
Car hire in Aix-en-Provence
Dating back more than 2000 years, Aix-en-Provence is a cultural centre surrounded by beautiful villages and overlooked by the majestic Sainte-Victoire mountain.
With a mild climate whatever season you travel in you’ll normally find the 140,000 or so inhabitants in good spirits and very welcoming.
Plan your trip from Aix-en-ProvenceHome of the father of modern painting, Paul Cézanne, see the glorious sights and colours that inspired his world famous work.
The museums in the town of Aix are not to be missed either, you’ll see everything from modern works of art to dinosaur eggs on display.
No trip to Aix-en-Provence would be complete without sampling the local cuisine either, to do this right you have to begin with the delicious aix calisson. A delicious medley of melon, orange zest and finely ground almonds wrapped in thick, heavenly icing.
Road trips from Aix-en-ProvenceHistoric monuments and castles, shrines and heritage sites – you’ll be spoilt for choice when it comes to choosing your road trips.
We’d particularly recommend making the time to visit the Aix vineyards (don’t forget to nominate a designated driver), these sun drenched vineyards are a joy to behold and produce some of the finest wine in France.
Feel like doing something a little more rustic? Well no trip to Aix-en-Provence would be complete without at least a fleeting visit to one of the gorgeous hill-top villages dotted throughout the region.
Here you’ll find artists, craftsmen and other creative types milling about the cosy streets, a great way to really immerse yourself in the local culture.
Driving rules in FranceWhich side of the road?
In France, please drive on the right side of the road.
Country driving laws
- Mobile phones may only be used with a hands-free device. Do not use headphones or earpieces
- In towns and rural areas, on minor roads and where there is no clear indication of right of way, it may be prudent to give way to traffic coming from the right (“priorité a droite”)
- Bus lanes are reserved exclusively for buses, taxis and bicycles
- It is recommended that drivers use dipped headlights at all times
All speed signs will be in km/h.
For a standard Avis rental vehicle with no trailer:
- Urban areas: 50 km/h (31 mph)
- Rural areas: 90 km/h (55 mph)
- 4-lane expressways (rural areas): 110 km/h (68 mph)
- Motorways: 130 km/h (80 mph)
Unless indicated by road signs.
Be aware of changes to speed limits displayed on road signs due to adverse weather conditions
Child safety / Seatbelt laws
- It is compulsory for the driver and all passengers to wear a seatbelt
- Children aged under 10 and weighing less than 36kg must be seated in appropriate child restraint
- Children weighing up to 9 kg must travel in a rear-facing car seat, in the back of the car only
Please note - It is the child’s parent / guardian or vehicle renter’s responsibility to fit the child seat.
This road rules information is for provided for general guidance only. We endeavour to keep the information up to date and accurate, but any reliance you place on this information is at your own risk.